Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hostboard Member hemicuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2012
    Posts
    63
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II

    Hi, just wondering if anyone knew about the best size of cabinet & port size for Altec 421-8H Series II woofers? Yes, I know they are MI speakers. But would like to get as low & flat bass as I can out of them. I was also thinking of dampening the aluminum dust caps to tame them down some too. I know it will never be a 416 or 515. I just want to get maximum low frequency performance out of them. I do have a set of 1202B PA cabinets I can use with 811 horns. But these have pretty big slot ports and am sure they are tuned very high. Should I use these cabinets and change the ports? If so, change them to what? Just trying to use what I have to get a good taste of Altec sound without spending a bunch of money I don't have. Work with what I have type of thing. Thank you...

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II

    Forget the 1202.

    You'll need likely 6 cu ft.

    Download one of the box programs and play around. They are not hard to use. I used to use WinISD but there are others.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II

    I bought a pair of 8 cubic foot home made speakers loaded with a 418-8H II guitar speaker and with a 11x3x3/4" port that sounds pretty darn nice with a graphic equalizer even considering that that speaker is looked down on even more than the 421.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II

    The 418 can be reconed as a 416 though.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II

    I actually like the 418 better... it's lighter and faster
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Best Cabinet &amp; Port Size For 421-8H Series II


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Best Cabinet & Port Size For 421-8H Series II

    For something like folk music, or acoustic guitar, the 416 would work well.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.